There was a rugby club in Hoylake in the 1890s which had close connections with the Royal Liverpool Golf Club. The renowned Harold Hilton, twice British Open Golf Champion, four times British Amateur Champion and once American Amateur Champion, was captain of the rugby club in 1890/91. John Ball, the proprietor of the Royal Hotel in Stanley Road, (demolished in the 1950s) and father of another famous golfer, also John Ball, was a vice president. John Ball competed in the Open Championship in 1878 at the age of 16 and received half a sovereign for coming fifth. The total prize money on that occasion was 16 guineas. John Ball's (the golfer) grandfather owned the Green Lodge, another hostelry in Stanley Road, Hoylake. It is apparent that a number of members had interests in both golf and rugby.
A fixture card and team photograph for the 1890/91 season are displayed in the clubhouse.
The photograph, which was presented to the club in 1950 by F.J.Chiverton who apparently received it from founder member John Wannop, includes:
R.Charleson, G.Gullan, J.Brocklebank, T.H.Jones, D.Newlands, D.Lumgair, Myneer, T.Modlin, W.Owens, H.Anderson, H.H.Hilton. J.Wannop, F.Craigie, C.Lungair, J.Conning. R.Harding.
The backcloth is a sandstone wall believed to be a barn next to what became the 2nd green.